History of Saddleback Butte State Park

Originally Named “Joshua Trees” State Park


1954  -  Civic Groups Consolidated committee forms.  Chairman:  Jane S. Pinheiro


1955  -  Antelope Valley State Park Committee established.  Members: Jane Pinheiro, Mrs. John Brewer, Mrs. Hobart Bosworth, John Gentry, Viola Gordon, Henry Gauger, Judge Bill Keller, Sid Osheim, and Rev. Norvall Pickett.

1956  -  Passage of bill sponsored by Assemblyman Allen Miller to establish “Joshua Trees State Park”.

1957  -  Official date of acquisition of park  as a part of the state park system with unit number 543.

1960  -  Official ceremony takes place on April 9.

     Master of Ceremonies was Judge Allen Miller. Ceremony broadcast by KAVL. Participants included Jane S. Pinheiro, the A.V. High School Band under the direction of William Ballard, William Webber of the American Legion, Clifford L. Rawson and California State Park representatives Chief Charles A. de Turk and Superintendent L.W. Lively. Plaque unveiled honoring founders of Joshua Trees State Park: Jane S. Pinheiro, Harry C. Gauger, Viola Gordon, Sid Osheim, Wm.D.Keller, Catherine Brewer and Allen Miller

1972  -  Park renamed Saddleback Butte State Park so as not to be confused with Joshua Tree National Park near Twenty Nine Palms.

1993  -  Antelope Valley Trails Recreation & Environmental Council president Elaine MacDonald and Vic Maris, Superintendent for Mojave Desert State Parks, begin planning process to establish equestrian trail.

1995  - Antelope Valley Heritage Foundation begins work to establish the Richard “Dick” Dowen Nature Trail.

2010 - 50th anniversary celebration of the park.